Secrets From A Saskatoon Plumber On How To Hire A Plumbing Service
A plumbing system ensures that your home has clean water, have safe waste disposal among other uses. Therefore, plumbing systems the safety of home occupants and the public and for this reason its design is strictly regulated by building codes. The plumbers should also meet certain regulations and requirements before offering their professional services. They are certified, regulated and licensed to offer plumbing services to the public. This does not mean that you cannot do it yourself. You just need to possess the skills required, experience, tools, and equipment needed. Alternatively, you may have to hire a plumber whenever you have a plumbing issue in your home.
A good plumber should have the following:
A professional plumber should have a valid license to offer plumbing services to both residential and commercial places. A license is an indication that the plumber has met the laid regulations and requirements. Most states in the US require plumbers to have a license to offer their services. In addition, the plumber should also have a clean complaint record from previous clients. You need to research whether the plumber is licensed and establish whether there are any complaints filed against the plumber or the company. You can check the state’s government website or from other reliable sites such as Angie’s List or The Better Business Bureau.
For a plumber to be competent and reliable, it takes time. You need to hire an experienced plumber who has handled numerous plumbing tasks and can be able to finish your job successfully. Find out the level of experience of the plumber and/or the plumbing company. To know the level of expertise, you will have to determine the number of years the plumber and the plumbing company has been offering plumbing services.
You should never hire a plumber who does not have an insurance cover. Even though you’ve homeowner’s insurance that offers some protection, your plumber should have a workman’s compensation insurance of at least $500,000. This is important to help you avoid incurring additional hospital bills in case of injuries or accidents while working in your home.
Only hire plumbers who offer warranty for their work for at least one year. This shows that the plumber is reliable and he/she offers high-quality work. In case you have any problems within the warranty period, you won’t have to incur any charges whatsoever!
5. Social skills
A good plumber should have social skills which help him/her relations with other people. The plumber should be trustworthy, friendly and easy to approach because you will have to spend time with him/her. The plumber should also protect the items in your home and should never be arrogant. Make sure you hire a person you can be able to interact with, ask questions and give opinions too.
Finally, before you hire a plumber, ask for references. References refer to people/homeowners the plumber have previously worked with. You should contact them to find out if there are any complaints and whether they can advise you to hire the plumber.
How to find a good plumber
You can find good plumbers from online sources, yellow pages, personal referrals, newspaper ads, TV ads among other sources. Some of these sources are better and reliable than others.
• Personal referrals – this is where you are referred by a person you know. A personal referral is one of the most reliable sources of information because it is from people you trust. They can be your friends, family members, real estate agents or remodeling contractors.
• Online referral services – you can visit certain sites which offer plumbing information and look for a good plumber. There are different websites which offer plumbing information, and if you are keen, you can be able to get a good plumber. Some of these sites include Angie’s List, Home Advisor, Networx, etc. These sites can offer you information about other professionals depending on what you are looking for.
• Print Ads – although not a reliable source of information to get a plumber, you can also use print ads such as local newspapers and yellow pages. You may, however, end up with an incompetent plumber because advertising does not always mean competency!
Types of Plumbers
There are mainly two types of plumbers. Those that specialize in installing everything in a home or a remodeling project and those who focus on repairing existing plumbing systems. Plumber’s competency is determined by these three credentials: apprentice, journeyman and master plumber.
• An apprentice – this is a plumber who is training with a union or a non-union contractor organization.
The training is both in the classroom and in paid work. In most cases, an apprentice works alongside a journeyman or a master plumber
• Journeyman – This plumber has already fulfilled the apprentice requirements and has a state journeyman license. This type of plumbers can do most of the plumbing work, but they usually don’t operate their own business
• Master plumber – this is the most qualified plumber after working most of his/her years as a journeyman. A master plumber usually has an associate’s degree from a vocational school and to pass he/she must go through written and hands-on exams. In addition to handling different types of plumbing works, master plumbers run their own businesses.
These insider plumbing tips and tricks were provided by the professional plumbers at Greggs Reliance. Check out our authors here:
Reliance Gregg’s Home Services
503 51st Street East, Saskatoon, SK S7K 6V4